AT Strategy: Whisper
Alexander Technique: Whispered “ah” Instructions
· Breathe in and out through your nose to warm, cleanse and moisten the air.
· Do not manage your breath. At rest, the breath releases out, there is a tiny pause, and then the breath comes back in as you yield to the need for breath.
· Allow the jaw muscles to release so that the mouth drops open on the outgoing breath.
· Lightly close your lips as the breath comes in again.
· Continue breathing out through the mouth, in through the nose.
· Think of something slightly funny.
· Let the sound of a whispered “ah” as in father release on the outgoing breath, as if you were steaming up a window.
· The tongue rests on the floor of the mouth, with the tip lightly touching the back of the bottom teeth.
· While you are breathing, continue to think of expanding in all directions, up, wide, and forward.
· Continuing to think your directions, speak a little – an “ah” or “1, 2, 3, 4, 5,” or speak a short sentence.